Things keep happening with the right wing that no one talks about. I’ve finally had it. If no one else is going talk about them, then I am and God help me. The latest is what the right wing did about the attempt by the President and the Democrats to introduce some reasonable controls on the purchase of guns. The Republicans blocked these efforts. They defended the right of deranged mass murderers of children to purchase assault weapons. Let’s take it from the top and look at each and every step in the nasty, vicious process. Right after the Sandy Hook massacre the right wing got started with a well coordinated set of messages. Below are a variety of right wing comments that appeared right after the killings. I have nothing in common with the right wing which lies all the time about everything. I am quoting these people exactly and the links that I am providing will allow you to confirm what I am telling you. Please check them.
1. Blaming the Victim
They deserve it because they drove God out of the school
Right after the Sandy Hook massacre the right wing got started. Mike Huckabee was asked how it was that God allowed it to happen. Immediately, he blamed the school. This is the link to one of the papers that has his quote. The Washington Post: Host:
You know, invariably, people ask after tragedies like this, ‘How could God let this happen?’ Huckabee: Well, you know it’s an interesting thing. We ask why there’s violence in our schools but we’ve systematically removed God from our schools. Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage because we’ve made it a place where we don’t want to talk about eternity, life, what responsibility means, accountability…? Maybe we ought to let him in on the front end and we wouldn’t have to call him to show up when it’s all said and done at the back end.
He was far from the only right winger to make such comments. Below is a whole selection of other, similar right wing comments:
Huffington Post: Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich:
“When you have an anti-religious, secular bureaucracy and secular judiciary, seeking to drive God out of public life, something fills the vacuum.”
It was their own fault because they “feminized” the school
Charlotte Allen at National Review: gave this explanation for why the children were killed:
“But in general, a feminized setting is a setting in which helpless passivity is the norm. Male aggression can be a good thing, as in protecting the weak — but it has been forced out of the culture of elementary schools and the education schools that train their personnel.”
God sent the shooter because America accepts homosexuality
The Washington Post The Westboro Baptist Church, the tiny independent fundamentalist Christian church based in Topeka, Kan., announced on Twitter that, once again, they are planning to stomp over our nation’s heartache by protesting at the funerals of the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and declaring “God sent the shooter.”
The children were killed because there were no guns in the school
Rep. Louie Gohmert, Texas Republican, said Sunday he wished Dawn Hochsprung, the principal of Sandy Hook Elementary School, who was shot as she lunged at gunman Adam Lanza, had had access to a rifle on Friday as the deadly shootings were occurring in Newtown, Conn.
Similar statements about the Aurora shooting: This effort on the part of the right wing leadership was well –coordinated and began even before Sandy Hook. The same type of comments were made about the Aurora shootings.
Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert said:
“You know what really gets me, as a Christian, is to see the ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs, and then some senseless crazy act of terror like this takes place.”
Mike Huckabee said:
“Ultimately, we don’t have a crime problem or a gun problem – or even a violence problem. What we have is a sin problem. And since we ordered God out of our schools and communities, the military and public conversations, you know, we really shouldn’t act so surprised when all hell breaks loose.”
Russell Pearce said:
“Where were the men of flight 93???? Someone should have stopped this man. All that was needed is one Courageous/ Brave man prepared mentally or otherwise to stop this it could have been done.” Rick Warren said: “When students are taught they are no different from animals, they act like it.” Tom DeLay said: (talking about Columbine) These tragedies happen because our school systems teach the children that they are nothing but glorified apes who are evolutionized [sic] out of some primordial soup.”
2. Main stream media response to Mike Huckabee’s and similar comments about Sandy Hook I’ve tried to find some reasonable reactions to these comments. The best I’ve found was that Huffington Post called Huckabee’s claims bizarre. MSNBC said they don’t make any sense. Below are the best of a sorry lot:
NBC News quoted Martin E. Marty, the prominent religious scholar, who wrote Monday for the Center for the Advanced Study of Religion at the University of Chicago (which is named for him) that Huckabee “wins, hands down, the prize for his absurdist judgment that ‘Newtown’ should have been no surprise.”
Huffington Post: called it a bizarre claim.
Rachel Maddow said his comments don’t make any sense
Policymic called his comments crazy. Sorry. This just isn’t good enough. What they are doing isn’t insane. What they’re doing does make sense. What the right wing leadership is doing is wrong. Their comments have a purpose and a name. It’s called blaming the victim. The right wing is saying that children in schools are getting killed because the schools kicked out God. It’s the fault of the schools that the massacre happened. Blaming the victim is a way of siding with the perpetrator. So, the leadership of the religious right is siding with Adam Lanza and not with the victims. And no one is calling them on it. I think it’s disgusting and it needs to be pointed out for what it is. Adam Lanza was an evil man. A really evil man. In fact, the evidence seems to suggest that his goal in going in to Sandy Hook was to be the most evil man, the worst mass murder of children in America, ever. Still, it is clear that this man was seriously deranged. This is not to say that, had he gone to trial, he shouldn’t have been convicted, or, even, had he been convicted, that he should have been spared the death penalty. Hell, he killed himself. Still, he isn’t anywhere near as bad as the right wing that supports and defends him. He was dealing with some, apparently, overwhelming impulse. At the least, he knew he was wrong. The right wing? They are on Adam Lanza’s side. Nothing personal, they don’t really hate the students at Sandy Hook, they don’t, necessarily, want to be evil. Nevertheless, they are even more evil than he is. They know exactly what they are doing, they know it is evil and they just don’t care. They are making a choice to side with Adam Lanza (and others like him) for their own benefit. This is truly despicable.
3. Why is the right wing siding with Adam Lanza? No one is talking about this. It’s huge, it’s an overwhelming problem facing the country and the main stream media is mute. Why is the right wing siding with deranged mass murderers of children? What does the leadership of the rightwing get out of it? This is what we need to ask and the answer is clear. The answer is that the right wing gets a political advantage and money, that’s what. Right wing politicians get campaign financing and support from the gun manufactures. It’s what helps them get elected.
4. Right wing Lies about Universal Background Checks And it isn’t just the money. The NRA tells their members and others that the politicians they support are in favor of the second amendment and that their opponents are not. They don’t stick to the facts: they lie through their teeth and lie all the time. Those politicians in favor of routine background checks aren’t denounced for being in favor of routine background checks. They are denounced for supporting President Obama in wanting to send black helicopters to your house with jack-booted thugs to confiscate your guns. Not only that, but NATO is going to help him. The lies that they tell are absolutely bizarre and the right wing believes them. They have listened to so many lies for so long that they no longer even recognize the truth. Lately, the right wing has really cranked up the rhetoric. And their audience believes them. They believe the over the top lies that the right wing cranks out. The links below are only a tiny fraction of the millions of pages of this filth but it will give you an idea.
If no serious crisis is to be wasted as a chance to sneak laws onto the books that fail the rational reflection test, all “gun control” proposals hastily put forward after the Connecticut elementary school slaughter by a mentally disturbed young man should be seen for what they actually are. They are gradual steps toward the confiscation of firearms from private hands, the “Holy Grail” of “gun control” activism.
Ted Nugent at the Washington Times:
The God-given, individual, U.S. Constitution-guaranteed right to keep and bear arms — like the natural, instinctive right to self-defense — is by any and all considerations a self-evident truth. The depth of mindless denial necessary to avoid these truisms is an inescapable indictment to the soullessness of liberal gun haters.
On Tuesday, April 9th, 2013, Mark Levin Show:
Mark talks about how the 2nd Amendment is essentially being voted on this coming Thursday and they are not following the correct protocols to do so. Mark talks about Constitutional conventions, and how this should go to the states and have 3/4s of the states vote on it if they want to change the Amendment. Just because one doesn’t exercise every single Amendment, doesn’t mean that this fight isn’t important. This is about us the people and our Constitution, while Congress is trying to legislate against us. They’re acting like our rights don’t matter and we can’t allow this. Why do they fear letting the American people see what is in the gun control bill? The 2nd Amendment allows us to be the ones to defend our families, and not have to wait for the government to protect us when there’s a robber.
Rush Limbaugh responding to criticism that no one is talking about confiscating guns:
“How ignorant do you think we are? People are reacting quite rationally here to what they’re hearing and seeing in the media when they’re going out and joining the NRA and buying guns. They know what they’re up against. They’ve heard Democrats all their lives. They know what you guys really want. Your problem is the existence of guns.”
Rush Limbaugh once again:
“…(Folks), let me tell you what this point is. The guns in this culture are the secondary target here. The primary target is the Constitution itself. That is what is under assault. That is what is in the cross-hairs of people who are using this tragedy to advance an agenda.”
Rush Limbaugh a third time:
“One of the things that we never get from the left… This is very important, folks. I want you to hear this and believe it. In all this talk about bipartisanship and getting along, the one thing you never get with the left is an honest debate. Because they will never tell us what their real objective is. They always mask it or camouflage it or hide behind it with children, in the case of yesterday and many other times. But you can’t have an honest debate with them. They will not tell you that they want to eliminate the Second Amendment. They will not tell you that, if they could, they’d find a way to confiscate guns. They won’t be honest about that. So when you accuse them of that, when you say that that’s what their real objective is, then they go nuts accusing whoever says it (like me) of being extreme and dangerous and reckless because of what people are going to think after hearing it.”
This is Ann Coulter on Sean Hannity:
“Universal background check means universal registration, universal registration means universal confiscation, universal extermination. That is how it goes in history. Do not fall for universal background checks.”
“Under the guise of a proposed global “Small Arms Treaty” premised to fight “terrorism”, “insurgency” and “international crime syndicates” you can be quite certain that an even more insidious threat is being targeted – our Constitutional right for law-abiding citizens to own and bear arms.”
Almost half of voters believe new rules for universal background checks could lead to the government confiscating legally-owned guns, according to a wide-ranging poll released Thursday.
If you are a gun owner in the state of California, expect the doorbell to ring any night now – if you’re lucky. Instead it just might be a squad of jack-booted storm troopers kicking in your front door.
Here’s Vox Popoli talking about the California killer, Christopher Dorner, who was traveling around California killing policemen:
“These are indeed Orwellian times. It’s rather like reading Robin Hood and being expected to cheer for the Sheriff of Nottingham. Here is a hint for the police: if you’re wearing black armor, killing innocent animals, lying about your actions, and on top of it all, you outnumber the other guy several thousand to one, you’re the bad guy.”
“If they come for our guns then it is our constitutional right to put them six feet under. You have the right to kill any representative of this government who tries to tread on your liberty.”
Michael Savage on the History of Gun Control:
In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control and from 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated. China established gun control in 1935 and from 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Guatemala established gun control in 1964 and from 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Uganda established gun control in 1970 and from 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Cambodia established gun control in 1956 and from 1975 to 1977, one million educated’ people, unable to defend themselves, w ere rounded up and exterminated. Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.
Do I even need to point out that this is completely false? I am fairly familiar with what happened in Nazi Germany, read books about the times, and seen movies about it. Never have I heard that the Jews of the time, particularly, had guns to be “controlled.” I read Mein Kampf. It is abundantly clear that Hitler hated the Jews. He actually had jack booted thugs- the SS. The SS also seems to have been completely anti-Semitic. Where are the jack booted thugs in America? What? The police? The police are gun owners, for God’s sake. It is almost incomprehensible that the right wing base actually believes this. Let’s just repeat the idea one more time. The right wing is saying that, if Congress increases the percentage of people that undergo background checks when buying a gun, millions, perhaps tens of millions of Americans will die. Somehow.
Within a complex web of ideologies, most of today’s armed radicals are linked by self-described Patriot beliefs, which emphasize resistance to tyranny by force of arms and reject the idea that elections can fix what ails the country. Among the most common convictions is that the Second Amendment—the right to keep and bear arms—is the Constitution’s cornerstone, because only a well-armed populace can enforce its rights. Any form of gun regulation, therefore, is a sure sign of intent to crush other freedoms. The federal government is often said in militia circles to have made wholesale seizures of power, at times by subterfuge.
Then there are the statements from Wayne LaPierre, the president of the NRA, listed in Think Progress:
In March 1995, LaPierre sent a fundraising letter to 3.5 million NRA members calling federal law enforcement agents “jack-booted government thugs” and arguing that “in Clinton’s administration, if you have a badge, you have the government’s go-ahead to harass, intimidate, even murder law-abiding citizens.” In March 2000, the New York Times reported LaPierre said President Clinton tolerated a certain amount of violence and killing to strengthen the case for gun control and to score points for his party. Mr. Clinton called the comments ‘smear tactics.’ Then Mr. LaPierre said Mr. Clinton had blood ‘on his hands’ because he had not enforced existing gun laws. After the January 2011 Tucson shootings, LaPierre claimed “gun-free zones and anti-self defense laws that protected the safety of no one except the killers,” and said that “by its lies and laws and lack of enforcement, government polices are getting us killed, and imprisoning us in a society of terrifying violence.” This, despite the fact that the shooting had not taken place in a gun-free zone. He added, “These clowns want to ban magazines. Are you kidding me? But that’s their response to the blizzard of violence and mayhem affecting our nation. One more gun law on top of all of the laws already on the books.” LaPierre refused to take part in discussions with President Obama’s administration after Tucson shootings to discuss possible ways to avoid future mass shootings. “Why should I or the N.R.A. go sit down with a group of people that have spent a lifetime trying to destroy the Second Amendment in the United States,” he asked. In March 2011, LaPierre said on a Fox News program he hosted that “someone in the government” engineered the failed Operation Fast and Furious “to seek political advantage.” In July 2012, LaPierre told Fox News Channel’s Megyn Kelly that a proposed United Nations treaty regulating the global arms trade “says to people in the United States, turn over your personal protection and your firearms to the government.” In July 2012 — just three days after the movie theater shootings in Aurora, CO — LaPierre sent a paranoid fundraising letter warning that the group needed to defeat President Obama’s re-election. “The future of your Second Amendment rights will be at stake,” the letter said. “And nothing less than the future of our country and our freedom will be at stake.” . . . The solicitation letter says that Obama’s re-election would result in the “confiscation of our firearms.” In September 2012, LaPierre suggested a novel theory as to why President Obama had not opposed gun rights in his first term. He said the administration’s inaction was “part of a massive Obama conspiracy to deceive voters and hide his true intentions to destroy the Second Amendment in our country…Before the president was even sworn into office, they met and they hatched a conspiracy of public deception to try to guarantee his re-election in 2012.” In February, LaPierre predicted that gun owners will rally en masse to defeat Obama in November. “All of what we know is good and right about America, all of it could be lost if Barack Obama is re-elected,” he said. “It’s all or nothing.”
These are only some of the, literally, millions of pages of right wing lies about efforts to keep deranged mass murderers of children from purchasing semi-automatic assault weapons. Seriously. Google “gun confiscations”. I did and got over ten million hits. This should give you an idea of the over the top, vitriolic hyperbole the right wing leadership is pumping out. The purpose is to fill the minds of the right wing base with lies and fill their hearts with fear and hatred. Please, don’t take my word for what they are saying. Click on the links and check. I have nothing to do with their method. I don’t make up lies about the opposite side in order to justify my attacks. I simply quote them. Perhaps the most disgusting of the right wing lies is the one that claims that the Sandy Hook massacre was made up by the President and the Democrats as a complex plot to confiscate guns. Check out these links:
The Daily Paul: Proof the Sandy Hook Children are a Hoax: Barden’s Fake Pictures
Before It’s News: Proof Sandy Hook Was A Staged Media Hoax
This whole concept is so bizarre that even Glenn Beck’s The Blaze rejects the idea. Check it out.
5. Are the lies working? There is absolutely no question that millions of pages of right wing lies about gun control were pumped out following Sandy Hook. The first question is are they working? When the leadership of the right wing asks the base, the base confirms that they do indeed, believe the lies that they have been told.
Glenn Beck’s The Blaze conducted a survey of their almost 5 million listeners:
“And while 87% are considering purchasing a gun, 91% really believe that the president will use an executive order to enact a gun ban if congress will not. And a whopping 89% are worried that gun confiscation will be attempted before the year’s end. 98% say they will not willingly surrender their firearms if confiscation is ordered.”
Almost half of voters believe new rules for universal background checks could lead to the government confiscating legally-owned guns, according to a wide-ranging poll released Thursday.
Clearly, it is working with a significant portion of the base.
6. Why all the lies? Now we get to the conclusion of the entire right wing plan. The gun manufactures are having a problem: the number of hunters in America is going down. They need to give buyers of guns another reason to buy guns. That’s the function of the lies. That’s why the right wing is siding with the mass murderers. People like Adam Lanza buy lots of guns. Not that the small number of mass murders will make up the loss but, remember, there are many more deranged potential mass murders who buy the guns and think about doing it but never work up the courage. Still, this isn’t the big money. Much more serious money is reflected in the comments of the NRA president LaPierre. He said: “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.” He wants to put an armed guard in every school and, hopefully, a gun in the hand of every teacher. This is big money. There are roughly 98,000 public schools in this country and another 33,300 private schools. That’s a total of 132,100 schools. Currently, assault weapons are selling at $2,000 to $3,000. Putting just 2 in each school would put almost a billion dollars in the hands of the gun manufacturers. This is why the right wing supports the right of deranged mass murders of children to have guns. To put money in the pockets of the gun companies and it’s disgusting. Still, a billion isn’t that much. Now we get to the really big money:
Gun shops and sporting-goods stores in Tennessee and around the country have been running short on ammo — especially for handguns — since late January, and say they don’t see their stocks getting back to normal until summer.
Ammunition sellers and manufacturers say there’s been a run on bullets and they can’t keep their shelves stocked. “Because of the terrorist attacks and the gun control legislation people are getting in more of a panic situation,” Dillard said. When he can get bullets, Dillard says, they’re expensive. “We paid five times the price we would normally pay.”
7. Gun Sales All of the relentless right wing lies are working. They have succeeded in convincing the right wing base that jack booted thugs are on their way. The base is convinced that now is the time to buy guns for two reasons. First, this may be their last opportunity. Second, the jack booted thugs may already be on their way. They are going to need lots and lots of bullets to defend themselves. We have a Dick’s Sporting Goods nearby. The store usually has an entire wall stocked with bullets. They ran out. So many people are buying bullets to protect themselves from the impending government gun seizures that the price of bullets went from $20 a box to $60 a box. Success. This is what it is all about. The comments that the right wing pundits are making aren’t insane, they’re purposeful and they’re working. And that’s just the bullets.
People were crowded five deep at the tiny counter of a gun shop near Atlanta. Emptying cases and bare walls gave a picked over feel to many gun stores in many states. One Iowa dealer indicated that thirty-round magazines were fetching five times what they were sold for just weeks ago. “If I had 1,000 AR-15’s, I could sell them in a week,” said Jack Smith, a gun dealer in Des Moines, Iowa, referring to the popular style of semi automatic rifle that drew national attention after Adam Lanza used one to kill 20 children and 6 adults at a Newton school.
Two reasons explain why the Bushmaster rifle–the weapon implicated in the mass murder of children in Newtown, Conn.–is disappearing fast from gun store shelves: It’s been vilified. And it remains hugely popular.
A contributor presents graphs of gun prices following the Sandy Hook massacre. These are the prices paid by gun dealers for three varieties of semi automatic assault weapons similar to the one used by Adam Lanza.
As politicians in Washington have talks with “stakeholders” and convene “task forces” to review policy, gun violence continues apace and gun sales are surging. In addition, gun and ammunition sales—particularly of the most dangerous varieties—have skyrocketed across the US in recent weeks as Americans appear to be stockpiling semi-automatic weapons and high-capacity clips amid fears that lawmakers will respond to long-ignored calls for a ban on such items.
Salon did an analysis of gun manufacturers stock prices:
Arms manufacturers Smith & Wesson, Cabela’s and the Big 5 all boasted sterling third quarter results in the post-Sandy Hook gun boom. A number of big retail chains moved to end sales of AR-15s and similar assault weapons in the wake of the shooting and Cerberus Capital, the New York firm that owned Bushmaster, sold the company, calling the Connecticut shooting a “watershed event.” But a small number of hedge funds, accustomed to a sadly familiar pattern (gun massacre, leads to fear of gun bans, leads to mass gun sales), moved to make bank on the tragedy and this predictable trajectory.
Incredibly, this is the current mentality of the right wing base. These are almost all people that already have guns, more than one. They are paying at least a thousand dollars more than the normal price just to hold in their hands the gun used to kill 20 small children at Sandy Hook. Apparently, the thrill of having such a weapon is worth thousands of dollars, at least a thousand dollars more than the regular price. What kind of people are they? What kind of people are the Republican leaders? They appear to be absolutely determined to keep guns flowing to the worst of the worst of the worst and keep the mass murder of children continuing. All for the purpose of putting more money in the pockets of gun manufacturers. The only word to describe these people is evil. And they won the fight even though 90% of all Americans disagree. They stood up to the 90% and kept them from increasing the percentage of people who, when buying a gun, submit to a background check. The right wing is confident that it can convince their base that what they are really doing is protecting rights. Anyone who believes this is just plain stupid. Like those on the right that believe that Sandy Hook was staged by President Obama as a way to confiscate guns. Here it is. The whole function of the millions of pages of extreme right wing lies comes down to putting billions into the pockets of the gun manufactures. It is clear that the base believes all these lies, without question. They have listened to so many lies for so long that they are damaged goods. More and more, the term being used to describe the right wing base is “stupid.” This is a clear example. Nevertheless, it is equally clear that the people that are telling these lies are savvy, smart and sophisticated. I keep calling them liars. Let’s go over it, just for completeness. President Obama failed to get legislation passed to keep assault weapons out of the hands of deranged mass murderers of children in spite of the fact that over 90% of all Americans agreed with him. Do you really think that he is going to be able to put together a force to go door to door, shoot it out with 75 million gun owners and confiscate their guns? Seriously? (Check the number of gun owners.) Do you seriously believe that the right wing demagogues believe what they are saying?
8. Will gun control work? Then there are those that argue that passing a few sensible gun control laws like mandatory background checks or banning assault weapons really won’t have any effect on gun deaths. Really? How about an assault weapons ban? John Howard was elected Prime Minister of Australia in early 1996, leading a center-right coalition. A few months later, Martin Bryant, a disturbed mass murderer, used an assault rifle to kill 35 people in Port Arthur, Tasmania. Afterwards, John Howard was able to put into effect an assault weapons ban in Australia, including a buyback of all existing assault weapons. But don’t take my word for it, you can see what he wrote in the January 17th issue of the New York Times. The result? Gun deaths decreased by over sixty percent. Currently, in America, we are experiencing about 31,000 gun deaths a year. If we had the same result, it would save 18,600 lives a year. How can this be? I think the behavior of the right wing explains it. Apparently, the right wingers are willing to spend thousands of dollars just for the electric thrill of holding one of these weapons in their hand. Perhaps some fall under the spell of a gun specifically designed to kill people then go out and do it. Perhaps some other factor is at play. Who knows? What we do know is that Australia shows us what happened when they banned assault weapons.
9.Now that the fight is over The battle is over and there was no change in the laws. Deranged mass murderers of children will continue to be able to purchase high capacity, semi automatic, assault weapons. Most Americans have no idea what happened. The republican base thinks: “Ah, the evil liberals were trying to take away our guns and we won! Hooray, for our team!” More and more, the term “stupid is being applied to the right wing base. This is a perfect example. The Democratic Party just can’t understand why the Republicans sided with deranged mass murderers of children:
“I can’t understand why the leadership of organizations such as the NRA would think that we’re invading anybody,” Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said. “If anything, this protects the 2nd Amendment. It expands it.”
The Democratic Party doesn’t understand that Republican Party sees no need whatsoever to enact policies that benefit their base. The Republican Party has the ability to convince the base of absolutely anything. What actually happened is that there was a massacre, the Republican Party saw the opportunity, told their base a huge amount of lies and then ripped them off for billions of dollars by overcharging them for guns and ammo. Afterwards, the base cheers. The gun manufacturers are quite grateful and will do everything in their power to use a small percentage of these funds to help the republican candidates get elected in the future. Neither the Democrats nor the Republican base gets it. Protecting children is a liberal thing; it has no role in the Republican Party. The Republican Party is all about taking money from the middle class and giving it to a small group of their rich friends. They saw the opportunity, took action and they succeeded. How well did they succeed? To give you an idea, Smith and Wesson is now, for the first time, the most profitable corporation in Massachusetts. Hooray, if you’re a member of the Republican base, I guess.
10. What do we do now? Perhaps you are a parent worried about the safety of you children. Perhaps you are a part of the 91% who would like to keep assault weapons out of the hands of deranged mass murderers of children. It might make you feel better when your children are off at school or when you go to the movies. Perhaps you think that the middle class should get some consideration when it comes to the re-distribution of wealth that the Republicans have been engaging in for the last forty years. Just remember what the right wing did. You’ll have your chance to work this whole thing out during the 2014 elections. Remember, when it comes to doing things to protect the safety of your children, the Republican Party isn’t the party of no. It’s the party of hell no. It’s not just about protecting children. It’s about protecting 99% of Americans. The Republican Party only has one policy that they consistently pursue: greed. They work tirelessly to re-distribute wealth from everybody else up to the top one tenth of one percent. If you are part of the top one tenth of one percent by all means, vote Republican. Otherwise, what you need to do is to start working on the people that you know that don’t vote. Convince them to register and to go out and vote starting in 2014. It matters. The Republican base is hopeless and the rest of the voters haven’t the numbers to get these people out of office.
This is what I have to say about gun control but I don’t spend all of my time on politics. I’m also a Celtic artists (the border is my work.) If you would like to see some of more my art work, go to my website theirishweddingtoast.com or that of my good friend, the author Doug Page.